John is a lead trial attorney who handles and supervises all aspects of litigation, in federal and Massachusetts courts, as well as state and federal administrative law agencies, in claims and investigations involving complicated construction defect disputes, Central Artery/Third Harbor Tunnel cases involving eminent domain, business loss claims, personal injuries and wrongful death, general liability, other construction site personal injury accidents and wrongful death cases, professional malpractice, civil rights, employment practices liability, municipal liability, products liability and breach of warranties, defamation and reputational harm cases, insurance and business disputes, trucking and commercial motor vehicle accidents, maritime and marina accidents, nursing homes, subrogation, defalcation and fraud, and institutional negligence cases involving allegations of sexual abuse and negligent supervision.
John regularly advises insurance claims personnel and managers regarding claims and settlement practices, and insurance coverage, risk management. He specializes in responding to claims against insurers of violations of M.G.L. Chapters 93A & 176D.
John provides advice and guidance, monitors, responds to, and prosecutes and defends first-party and third-party consumer protection claims and business bad faith claims under M.G.L. Chapter 93A.
John focuses on efficient and cost effective-yet thorough-handling of clients’ legal and risk management needs with an eye to early assessment, risk management and loss minimization both from the perspective of bringing about satisfactory financial resolution and protecting business and personal reputations and the careers of clients.
Mr. McCormack has served on the board of directors of several non-profit educational, cultural and charitable organizations, including having served as President of the Irish Cultural Centre, Inc., in Canton, MA, a role in which he served both as Head of Organization and Head of Operations. He has acted as general counsel to three non-profits.
- Professional Liability Defense
- Product Liability Defense
- Construction Defect Law & Construction Law
- Environmental Law & Toxic Tort Law
- Automobile & Trucking Law
- HIPPA, Health Care, Data Breach & Privacy
- Employment Law Defense
- General Liability Litigation
- Class Action Defense
- Institutional & Corporate Counseling
- Complex Civil & Business Litigation
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
New England Law, Boston, Massachusetts
J.D. – 1992
Law Review: New England Law Review, 1990-1992, Production Managing Editor, 1991 – 1992
A.B. – 1984
Boston Latin School – 1980
AWARDS & HONORS
Cheverus Award from the Archdiocese of Boston, related to legal work (2009)
- Massachusetts Bar Association, Member
- Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Catholic Lawyers’ Guild of the Archdiocese of Boston, Member
- MCLE Seminar on Religious Organizations and Liability, 2019
- First Party Bad Faith Claims and Protecting the First Party Insurer, presentation at ARS’ Annual Insurance Symposium, Gillette Stadium, July 31, 2014
- Carden v. Arkoma Associates: The Citizenship of Limited Partnerships, Associations, and Juridical Entities—A Chilling Future for Federal Diversity Jurisdiction, 27 New England Law Review 505, 1992
One Center Plaza
Boston, MA 02108
148 Eastern Blvd
Glastonbury, CT 06033
652 George Washington Highway
Lincoln, RI 02865
15 Constitution Drive
Bedford, NH 03110