Health Care and Medical Malpractice Experience:
- Ed’s practice focuses on the defense of hospitals, doctors, nurses, psychologists, pharmacist and other providers in claims of professional negligence.
- He has a recognized expertise in birth trauma cases, serving on the birth trauma panel for a national insurer:
- Ed has represented health care institutions in connection with internal investigation, DPH investigations, criminal investigations, BRM matters, JACCO Investigations;
- He has represented physicians, practice groups and physician organizations in connection with employment and contract matters, and regulatory issues.
- Ed routinely gives lectures to health care professionals on issues around the interface of law and medicine.
Notable Non-Medical Experience:
- Ed successfully represented 11 former partners of DonovanHatem in their arbitration claims arising out of their separation from the firm, recovering a multi-million dollar judgment for the partners.
- Ed has represented attorneys and judges in professional negligence cases and before the Board of Bar Overseers.
- He currently has the leading case on the interpretation of the statute of limitations in legal malpractice in both the Massachusetts State and First Circuit Courts.
- Ed has handled to successful conclusion employment practice claims, both in the civil courts and before the MCAD.
- He had defended corporations and Board members in stock and compensation claims, and various D & O claims.
- Ed represented the pyrotechnics manufacturer in the Rhode Island Station fire case, involving over 100 deaths and 200 personal injury claims.
- Ed represented the Town of Falmouth against constitutional civil rights claims seeking to limit the School’s authority to implement curriculum; He was successful before the Supreme Judicial Court and ultimately was joined by the ACLU in successfully opposing certiorari to the US Supreme Court.
Ed is also a frequent lecturer and instructor with both bar groups and industry panels including MCLE, Massachusetts Bar Association, Harvard Law School, and various medical societies and institutions.
- Professional Liability Defense
- Medical Malpractice Defense
- HIPPA, Health Care, Data Breach & Privacy
- Employment Law Defense
- Complex Civil & Business Litigation
- Nursing Home Defense
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Boston College Law School, Boston, Massachusetts
Juris Doctor – 1981
Occidental College, Los Angeles, California
Bachelor of Arts – 1977
- Top 100 Lawyers in Massachusetts, Massachusetts SuperLawyer, 2007-2016
- Top 100 Lawyers in New England, New England SuperLawyer, 2007-2016
- Massachusetts SuperLawyer
- Boston’s Best Lawyers
- Best Lawyers in America, Medical Malpractice Law, Personal Injury, 2000-2016
- Fellow, American College of Trial Attorneys
- Fellow, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Senior Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Martindale Hubbell AV® Preeminent™
- Fellow, Massachusetts Bar Foundation
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association
One Center Plaza
Boston, MA 02108
148 Eastern Blvd
Glastonbury, CT 06033
652 George Washington Highway
Lincoln, RI 02865
15 Constitution Drive
Bedford, NH 03110